12.7.12

¡Olé!

Last night, Wednesday, I went with a group of people to a flamenco concert at a venue on campus. The concert was really exciting and way more than I anticipated! There was a band; two singers, one guitarist, one percussionist, and another vocalist who assisted with percussion. The music was awesome because it was so traditional and what I imagined would be unique to Spain. The guitarist was truly impressive; the way he could pick on the guitar was a skill that I could never imagine having. It was so fast and then with the singing added, it all just fit together. The percussion was cool, as well, because there wasn't a drum set. There was a metal box, one small cymbal, a bongo drum, and a set of chimes.
The flamenco dancers just added to the neatness and traditional feel of the music. Flamenco dancing reminded me of a form of tap dancing but with additional flourish from the hand motions, expressions, and costumes. It was obvious, even though the lyrics of the songs were hard to understand, what the song was about through the dancer's movements. I loved the expression and I am inspired to see more shows before I leave.

Two of my sisters are leaving on Saturday since their programs finish tomorrow. As a going away celebration, tonight my sisters and I, along with a few other friends, are going to go out to dinner and then see a movie. It should be fun! :)

I can't believe that the first two weeks are almost over. I still miss home but at the same time, I'm learning to love living here. One thing that is still extremely difficult to get used to, though, is the schedule. Everyone eats dinner really late and stays out really late but they still have to get up early! There is a siesta during the day that seems like it should balance everything out, but it doesn't. I'm tired a lot because if I siesta then I'm awake really late but still wake up early...it's a vicious cycle! At least when I stay up late in the States I can face the consequences if I have to get up early (because I could have stayed in) or I can wake up later. But here, since events are started later in the evening I feel like we stand no chance. This is the biggest difference from the States so far...I miss my sleep! :)

I will be sure to put up pictures of Flamenco tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment