25.7.12

A Home Away From Home


Some exciting things have been happening around these parts lately!

1. I can definitely tell that I'm learning a lot about myself while I'm here. Being in Spain and especially having came and traveled alone is allowing me to be more independent. :) I feel like I'm growing as a person (aww precious)

2. I have no idea if my Spanish is getting any better. I'm having trouble remembering what it was like before I came here and the only thing I really have to compare it to is native speakers...and I am terrible compared to them. So I guess I'll just have to wait and find out! Regardless, I feel like I'm learning and retaining more than I ever did while taking classes in the states.

3. The meals here are outrageous in the sense that THEY'RE ALL CARBS! Carbscarbscarbs for every meal. I'm not saying I dislike it, but I think of people going to no-carb diets in the United States and am wondering how everyone here remains so thin while eating carbs all the time. Maybe it's all the walking?

4. There are certain things here that are obviously more valued while in the United States we take advantage of. For example: the two big ones are power and water. Water is expensive but we use it all the time in the States. Here there are hardly any water fountains and showers are limited. Also, power is also sacred. Of course, in the States we turn of lights when we leave a room, etc, but here (especially my host mom) is very determined to unplug the microwave when it's not being used and to keep all lights off if there is sun or if the room is not being used. I should try and take these practices back to the States with me.

5. I don't know if it's just what city I'm in, but there seems to be more PDA here. Yesterday we saw a couple kissing and walking at the same time. It was definitely impressive.

6. Gay marriage has been legal here since 2005. 2005!!! In the United States this is JUST NOW becoming a possibility...I think it makes the US look bad because everyone here is so happy (regardless of the spectacular bank issue) and gay marriage isn't even talked about. It is a norm, and it has been for years. Why is the US so far behind? Why is this still so controversial?

7. I have yet to see an electric fan. There is no air conditioning, yet everyone just uses hand fans. This is fine since it doesn't get too humid...it's just strange to see! Also, my host mom was telling me that Salamanca lies smack in the middle of the Southern warm air and the Northern cold air. In July and August the weather is really hot but it's COLD by September.

8. Salamanca is becoming my new home. Sometimes Rachel and I will be walking back from class like normal and then stop ourselves to remind us: HEY we're not in Indiana. We're in Spain!

9. Rachel and I, the past couple of days, have been studying for exams on campus at night. We've learned that it's here where a lot of locals go to hang out! There always seem to be people singing Flamenco music, talking, laying in the grass. It's a super pretty location and I'm glad we have a little nook :)

10.  I am obsessed with a meal whose name is a mystery. It's Spanish rice with meat and a fried egg on top. Also, in the States, I need to learn how to make croquetas! Spanish cooking lessons for all!

Happy Wednesday :) P.S. 2 DAYS UNTIL PARIS!

No comments:

Post a Comment