4.7.12

Finally Settled en ESPANA!

I arrived to Spain on Sunday, July 1st, the same day that the España fútbol team was playing in the final match of the Euro 2012. I met my family and quickly sat down to eat dinner and watch the game, which they won. Had I not just arrived, I would have love to gone out and celebrate with everyone else; they were celebrating until the morning with fireworks and music. It was very exciting. I live in an apartment with 3 other students; one is from the United States, one from Paris, and one from Belgium. We live with our host mom and dad. The house is extremely welcoming and we enjoy living there. Our mom is very conscious of our conversation of energy, e.g. lights always have to be turned off and we are limited to a 5 minute shower. She cooks delicious food, usually typical food from Salamanca, and it is very appreciated. The apartment is about 30 minutes (2 miles) from campus, which we always walk. About 3/4 of the way to campus, we arrive at the Plaza Mayor, the center of Salamanca. The Plaza Mayor is always busy with people hanging out, eating ice cream, having drinks, and taking pictures. I will take more pictures soon and post them.

The classes at the university have gone well so far (as it is only the second day). I have a language class from 9am to 11:00am and then a culture class from 11:05am to noon. The teachers are very nice and welcoming; they know that we are studying Spanish and that we are all from different countries. They are very understanding and the classes are extremely relaxed. The only English that is spoken is by other students from the United States. Because of that, I can already tell that my brain is becoming flooded with Spanish, and pretty soon, English will be more difficult.

The schedule here is very different but I have found it extremely easy to get used to. Breakfast is eaten before class, lunch is eaten at 2:30 (14:30), and dinner is at 9/9:30 (21:00-21:30). From 2-4pm, all of the stores close for siesta, and everyone goes home for lunch and a nap. At first I found this to be unnecessary, but when it comes time to nap, it always feels much needed. Although dinner isn't eaten until 9:30, the stores all close from 8-9pm (which seems strange because they close for 2 hours in the middle of the day). The night life usually begins anywhere from 10-11pm (22:00-23:00). The way time is told (in military time) and the use of Celsius was hard to adjust to, but it's already becoming easier.

I have finally bought a phone and been able to connect with my friend Rachel. She is here with a group from IU, and I have met her friends and have been able to hang out with them. I am also becoming close with my roommates, especially my roommate from Belgium, Pauline. Also, although it is not the most important thing, I have found internet access (since I have none at my house). I was worried for a while, but now I am confident I will be able to keep in touch and to, of course, blog! :)

Today we are going to celebrate Independence Day and then on Friday we are headed to Portugal on an excursion with the university!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4.7.12

    When I lived in Germany I learned that when you start to dream in another language you have arrived!!! I'm sure you'll do well this semester.

    ReplyDelete